Guide #002: Shit You Gotta Get Did BEFORE Promoting Your Group.
You have an idea for a group, you’re excited, you just want to get everything up right now and post promos, you’ve even got a promo graphic at the ready, but come on now, are you really ready to promote yourself to the tags? Really?
These days too many RPGs start promoting themselves before they’ve got things properly set up. Not only does it make you as an admin look pretty stupid but its also not gonna grab people’s attention. This is a checklist of things that absolutely need to be done before you start promoting.
- The Theme: Experiment with it. Try different styles and looks until you find the one that works best and will fit your needs as well as hold the attention of viewers. Get other people’s opinions on it - whether they’re just your friends or perhaps roleplay helpers.
- General Page Graphics: Make sure they go with your theme and provide the look you’re going for. People don’t want to be clicking on a promo and finding themselves on a half finished page.
- Plot/Setting: This is the most important. There is absolutely no point in posting a promo if you don’t have a plot already posted and linked. Also make sure your sidebar description is done.
- Extra Pages: Make sure you have all your rules, extra info pages etc etc set up and posted/linked. You may think you can just do all this later, but you are wrong. It looks 500 times better if you get it all done and ready beforehand because it shows people that you’re legit serious and that you’re not gonna fuck around.
- Character Outlines: Some people may prefer to post bios before promoting and if you can do that then I highly recommend it, but at the same time, bios are a way of promoting so you don’t necessarily have to have them posted yet. You do need outlines though. Have story skeletons for every single character you plan on posting in the first batch.
- An FC List: Either post this or have it ready to be posted, after they read the plot its almost always the first thing people want to know.
- Delegate: If you’re co-adminning a group, decide who is going to do what. Make sure you know who will be answering asks, writing bios and posting promos, don’t decide as you go, decide beforehand and make sure everyone is on the same page. In saying this, get co-admins before starting a group. Too many people have been in the tags lately advertising for co-admin applications from the main page of the group. No. Stop. Leave. Do all of that before you even make the page.
- Navigation: This is beyond obvious but make sure you have a full navigation page set up, put every single link on there that you’re gonna need, even if you won’t be posting certain things until later on, people can at least see your intentions.
I think that’s about it. If you have done all of those things, then congratulations, you have the foundations of a successful roleplay group. If you’ve got any questions about anything I’ve said here or anything else, feel free to send them through.